Saturday, June 27, 2015

"This isn't Dances with Salmon you know!!"

Updated!
What does it mean to be young and aboriginal Indigneous in 2015?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/newfire/what-does-it-mean-to-be-young-and-aboriginal-in-2015-1.3127619

"There are a lot of stereotypes out there - something host Lisa Charleyboy has experienced first hand. A self-described 'urban native girl' living in Vancouver, Lisa is often asked to prove just how 'native' she is... by both indigenous and non-indigenous peoples.  "


"This isn't Dances with Salmon you know!!"



Wow, been years since I have seen this movie, I am going to watch it tonight!! This is so sad here...but I love it! Having been raised being told I was a French Canadian Indian, I said to my mom one day, when I was trying to understand my heritage because I wanted to explain it to my child.

I said "Mom, who's the French, who's the Canadian, and who's the Indian?" she laughed. No, no, no, my dear, they are all one. She was speaking about my Metis heritage. But it had something to do with the census or something and they weren't allowed to write...something and that's how it was written down. That's what I remember. My mom has passed and I don't have too much info.

But I do know my Great Great Grandma was Songhee and then I believe it was my Great Grandpa that was Metis or it was my Grandma- it's confusing as the archives are hard to figure out and my aunt said it was the Grandpa but I think the archives show it was my grandma...anyways it's in there.

So what will it be like for my daughter to grow up with First Nations heritage in 2015.
Well one thing is, she was honored in a lovely ceremony for Graduating Grade 7. It was called a Moving On Ceremony and it was very thoughtful and meaningful and I felt very blessed we went to it.

Photography by Tina Winterlik aka Zipolita © 2015

Photography by Tina Winterlik aka Zipolita © 2015

Photography by Tina Winterlik aka Zipolita © 2015

Photography by Tina Winterlik aka Zipolita © 2015


I have taken Angel to the Pipeline Rally and The Coast is Toast so she has a good understanding of how everything is playing out in this world. We followed Burnaby Mountain closely, she's heard of the Highway of Tears and about the trauma caused by the horrific crimes against children in the Residential schools.

I explained about Paige and we both were very heartbroken and sad that a child was treated this way.
http://tinawinterlik.blogspot.ca/2015/05/who-will-save-paiges-wtf-when-will-it.html

What part my child will play in it all this only the future knows.











What I do know is she loves nature and cares deeply about it and people. I just pray that we get it together and change things so that she can grow up in a healthier place with no GMO, no more Global Warming, a greener world..that she will be one of The Changerz http://thechangerz.blogspot.ca/



That's what I hope for her. And not one where you need to prove your First Nations or Aboriginal which one person at the Moving on Ceremony said is a misnomer because was are ALL Indigenous!! We need to all work together to save mankind and the inhabitants of the Earth, because we need the Earth, she doesn't need us.

http://natureisspeaking.org/mothernature.html



One thing I know, she'd definitely turn down any blood money from Kinder Morgan in the form of a scholarship. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/kinder-morgan-donation-scholarships-refused-by-kwantlen-students-1.3129523 #StopKinderMorgan #StopThePipeline #NoTankers #SaveOurCoast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Friday June 26, 2015

I felt that this article is super important and so I wanted to add it here.
Note: Be sure to listen to the podcast!

'Miss Indian, what?'
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/newfire/what-does-it-mean-to-be-young-and-aboriginal-in-2015-1.3127619/miss-indian-what-1.3130118

No comments: